Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Some quick BritBits

Time for another update!

I went to get my hair done today (braids, if you care) and I learned a bit more about British speech. Well, I knew these things, but I had forgotten about them, so it was a little refresher.

BritBit one: British people pronounce the beginning of some words with an ‘f’ even though there is no ‘f’ there. For instance, they’ll say what sounds like “froo” when they’re saying “through”. They do it in other instances but I can’t think of any other examples right now.

BritBit two: Just a bit of slang—“bang out of order”. It basically means someone has done something wrong, or said/done something uncalled for. If you’ve seen the Harry Potter movies (woot!) in the fifth one Ron says to Harry, “Seamus was bang out of order mate,” after Seamus had accused Harry of lying about Voldemort being back and said something about his mom nearly not letting him come back to Hogwarts. If you didn’t understand any of that you need to pick up a Harry Potter book ASAP. Here’s another example for you: If you’re having an argument with a friend and you snap and call them…I don’t know, a slut, they might gasp and say, “That’s out of order.”

BritBit three: I can’t remember if I’ve written this already (story of my life) but they call a five pound note a “fiver” or a ten pound note a “tenner”. It’s shorter, it’s easier, it makes sense.

That’s all for today. I get the feeling I’ll have a lot more to write about in the upcoming days…muahaha cliffhanger.

Bye all!

No comments:

Post a Comment