Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Randomness

Hello there. I seem to have unofficially gone from updating once a week to once every two weeks. Oops.

It's hard to think of things to talk about. At first it's like wow, everything's different! After five months it'd difficult to notice little cultural differences. But here's one...

BritBit 1: CCTV. I don’t know what it stands for, but basically it’s a bunch of surveillance cameras all over the place. Whenever you walk into a store it has a sign that says something to the effect of, “This place is being monitored by CCTV”. At first I thought it was some special sort of camera that everyone had, but I see it absolutely everywhere. Apparently it’s the government keeping track of people. Some people don’t like the idea of being constantly watched, which is understandable. For some reason the first thing I thought of when I found out that it was the government’s cameras is that it’s good, because if you’re ever falsely accused of a crime you will already have cameras everywhere proving you weren’t there. I watch too many cop shows.

You know, I think about different things for BritBits all the time, but as soon as I sit down to write, I forget what they are.

Wait, I think I remember one:

BritBit 2: As well. As well, as well, as well. People here say “As well” all the time. Americans just say “too” usually. It’s like every conversation I hear, people say “As well”. It’s slightly annoying.

BritBit3 3: Top Shop. It’s a really popular clothing store. Apparently they have them in the U.S. too, but I’m not very fashionable so I didn’t hear of its existence until I got here.

BritBit 4: The X Factor. It’s a show kind of like American Idol…actually, it might be exactly like that, I’ve never seen it. It’s a singing competition and everyone loves it; it’s huge. It might be coming to the U.S. soon, so Americans will get to experience it as well…oh crap, I’ve started saying it too.

I’m really, really tired. Papers aren’t fun. I know I just had some due the last time I posted, but I had another one due today.

It’s weird to think I only have a few more months here. I’m not looking forward to the reverse culture shock…being surrounded by Americans again…ugh. It’s weird to think about. I’m so used to hearing stuff like, “I’m gonna go to the pub and get a pint, yeah, and do a bit of dancing as well.” It’ll be odd to hear the American version, “Dude, I’m going to the club tonight and getting wasted.”

Okay, that’s all I have to say. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment