Tuesday, January 12, 2010

BritBits, Groceries and...Zzz...

Time for an update.

School has started up again. I’m kind of excited and dreading it at the same time. It’s an odd feeling.


I have a few BritBits that I realized when my brother came to visit.


BritBit 1: British people really do talk with strange inflections in their voices. I honestly wasn’t sure if it was just me, but my brother commented on it too, asking, “Why do they talk like that?” No idea. They just sound overexcited all the time.


Speaking of which,


BritBit 2: The English accent is annoying. Yeah, I said it. How it took me this long to realize that is beyond me. I guess it’s kind of like…you expect something to be one way and so that’s how you perceive it, despite the fact that it’s actually different. I expected the accent to be slightly less hot than in the movies, but still attractive. No. It’s annoying. I kind of wish I hadn’t realized it, because now it really bothers me.


You know Giles’ accent on Buffy? Or Wesley’s on Angel? Or basically any British actor ever appearing in a movie? That’s not how they sound. The girls kind of sound like Drusilla from Buffy, except for some reason she has American inflections. That, and she’s crazy. These references are probably lost on most people so I’ll just stop now.


BritBit 3: When you’re on the metro in London there’s a voice that says “Mind the gap” before you step onto or off the train. That means “watch out for the space”. I was used to it but my brother commented on this too.


BritBit 4: They call dishwashing liquid “washing up liquid”.


BritBit 5: They have a bunch of foods that they label “Americano” or “American style”, but most of them don’t seem particularly American to me.


Since I’m talking about food, I guess I can talk about the grocery stores they have here. Sainsbury’s is one of the big ones. They have typical food aisles and stuff, but one thing I noticed is that they have canned food. I don’t remember if I said this already but they have hot dogs in jars and “dinner” in cans. I haven’t tried it because it just sounds gross. They have ready meals you can get 3 for 5 pounds, which is a good deal for a college student. They also have stuff for kitchens and some DVDs and random other items.



ASDA is another big store, which is actually owned by Walmart. It’s basically the British version of Walmart. They sell clothes, groceries, electronics, etc. Their food is cheaper than Sainsbury’s but it’s harder to get there because it’s not in the city center (I’m talking only about Brighton by the way, not the entirety of England). I prefer ASDA because I think the food tastes slightly better, and it’s cheaper. The key word there is cheaper.


Gosh, this post is so lifeless. Sorry, I’m really tired. I’m trying this thing where I sleep at night instead of during the day—I know, crazy—and it makes me really tired. So far it’s working, but in order to do so I have to force myself to stay up all day instead of taking a nap like usual, which causes me to go to sleep at around 9 or 10 instead of 1 or 2. You’d think sleeping all night would make me refreshed during the day, but it doesn’t. My body is used to the opposite and it hates me right now. I’m questioning whether it’s worth it, because I feel like a zombie.


Also, it snowed again. This is the worst weather the UK has had in…I think 30 years. Yay me.


Also, my housemates are back. I miss the quiet.


I can’t wait for the weekend. Sleep sounds amazing right now.


Until next time :)


By the way, the pictures are of ASDA, not Sainsburys.

No comments:

Post a Comment